Wednesday, June 18, 2014

ICSI and a Rough Few Days

My nurse called last Friday with the news that I would need to have a repeat SSG to check everything out and to let me know that my RE is recommending that we do ICSI due to my endometriosis.

I am not excited about a repeat SSG. My first one wasn't much fun (I know they aren't supposed to be "fun") and I am not looking forward to the painful uterine contractions again but what can you do? The doc wants to check out my insides, I drop my pants and say, "Check it out!" So, my SSG is scheduled for Monday. I do like that I feel like we are getting the ball rolling on IVF, so at least there's that!

As far as the ICSI, I was completely taken aback. I had completely disregarded the idea because we don't have any sperm issues so I balked when the nurse told me. She said that my RE was recommending it because of my endometriosis. Apparently, according to what she said, eggs from women with endo have what they refer to as "harder shells." Not the scientific term but a good way to describe it, I suppose. So, I spent most of the night Friday researching the use of ICSI for endo. I found some excellent resources (here's one) and am now convinced it is actually a really good idea for us. Obviously it adds more expense to our cycle, which stresses me out, but I believe it's worth it (or at least hope it will be).

The fundraising is going ok, donations have slowed down a bit, but the donations we have received have been such a blessing (and have been received by some AMAZING people), that I couldn't be happier with our results so far.

NIFR:

On a different note, I have been having some really difficult days. My in-laws are divorcing because my FIL is an adulterer. We have always known that he had an affair early on in my IL's marriage but he swore that he was a good, faithful husband ever since. Yeah, right. He's been carrying on with this woman for almost 20 years and my MIL found out. We also found out the age of the woman when the affair first began and it puts him in pedophile territory, which is horrifying. I am sick over it. All I have to say is that he will never, ever be around our children, if we are able to have any. Sadly, we also found out that he is including us in his divorce response and is trying to sue us for repayment for improvements he chose to make on a house of ours they lived in. He won't win, the laws here are very clear about improvements made on rentals without written consent for repayment but I am just beside myself. I don't know why I expected more from him, considering that he is a lying adulterer, but I did. It's just adding more stress to our lives that I don't need.

9 comments:

  1. FM, I'm so sorry about your FIL. That must be horrifying!!! I'm so glad to hear things are moving along on the IVF front. I wish you all the luck in the world <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is horrifying. There has always been something off about him, I just didn't know what it is. DH keeps saying he is thankful he is adopted bc he is nothing like his "dad."

      Thank you for the well wishes for IVF!

      Delete
  2. What a horrid, horrid man your FIL is. Not only for the long-term affair and deception, but to include you in the divorce, too. Just awful. Glad to hear that things are moving forward with the IVF, though, and hoping that the repeat SSG isn't as painful as the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He truly is. I have never known anyone to be so horrible, it's kind of shocking.

      Thank you! I am keeping my fingers crossed that the SSG goes quickly and isn't as painful this time!

      Delete
  3. So sorry you have had a rough few days. What a terrible thing for your FIL to do. Geez. Sounds like a desperate man who did not plan like he should have and is now grasping at straws. Glad things are moving along for you treatment wise thought. Hopefully you have enough money soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that is exactly what it is; grasping at straws and hopefully the judge will see that too.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry about your FIL and that you're being pulled into this drama. He sounds like a terrible person. I'll be thinking of you and hope that things get better soon.

    I'm sorry for the added cost of ICSI, but hopefully whatever you decide to do is what gets you a healthy baby. Always sending you lots of love and positive vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my FIL is a pretty horrible person :(

      As far as the ICSI, I am bummed that there will be an extra cost, but you are right getting ourselves a healthy baby is what is most important.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to have to get a repeat SSG too. I'm actually excited for it because with my first IVF try the doc didn't do any testing on me (my husband's sperm have low motility so it was just expected that nothing was wrong with me) and I felt kinda weird about it. So when the new doc actually found something this time I was really glad that they were checking. I hope your new fork in the road gives you good results!

    ReplyDelete