Thursday, May 22, 2014

IVF Fundraising

After "coming out" to my mom, she made the suggestion that I create a blog and account on a fundraising site so I can ask close friends and family to help us out with the costs (she is certain people will want to help). Yesterday, I spent most of the day (when I should have been working) writing up an "about us" and researching fundraising sites. At first, I was sure that Give Forward would be the way to go, but their rates are very high. So instead I found, Donate a Gift, which looked like it had lower rates, until I went through the entire process of setting up the account. At the very end, I realized they have extra fees that they tack on to each donation with makes their fees just as much as Give Forward! Grrrrr.

Have any of you used any fundraising sites that have decent rates?

I know I should probably do all this after we complete IUI#4 but I don't have a lot of confidence it will work and I need to get this show on the road. Either my Aunts and Uncles will come out in force and we will have the money for IVF in no time, or no one will and we'll be fundraising for a looooonnnnng time. If it's the latter, I want to get started ASAP.

6 comments:

  1. I wish you tons of luck!! Someone I know is currently using GoFundMe.com. I don't know about any associated fees but you could check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wishing you lots of luck! I'm sorry I don't know much about the fundraising apps, but I hope you get it figured out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of a few people who have set something up through Paypal. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I know normally when you use Paypal it is free. Something to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also heard about gofundme. Not sure at all what it entails but it may be worth looking into. I wish you lots of luck with the fundraising. Its so frustrating that something like finances could stand in a couple's way of having a baby! I will be checking back in to see how it all works out for you. May be something we consider doing in the future also when its time do try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely post updates to let everyone know which one I use and how user friendly it is.

      Delete
  5. I second the suggestion to try PayPal. Obviously it's not a donation/funding site per se, but it's secure and reputable, so most people should be comfortable with using it. Can't remember exactly, but I know I've seen at least one or two private fundraising efforts that used it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete